Dealing with hormonal imbalance can get very frustrating. You experience various disheartening symptoms that can last for a few days or longer. The good news is, it can be treated in a healthy and natural way if detected early. Below are some common symptoms that are associated with hormone imbalance. If you're experiencing any of them, then it's wise to have yourself tested.
This saliva hormone imbalance testing service aims to evaluate 5 essential hormones in your body, such as Estradiol, Progesterone, Testosterone, DHEA-S, and morning Cortisol. It's hassle-free because you don't need to endure the pain of needles or drive yourself to the nearest clinic to wait for an attending physician administer the test for you. The testing service involves convenient collection of your saliva in the comfort of your own home and sending them to an accredited laboratory using the included pre-paid shipping label.
Knowing your hormone levels is one of the first steps towards leading a healthier life. This service will help identify hidden hormonal imbalances – either deficiency or excess – that might be associated with symptoms of menopause, andropause including reproductive disorders, chronic illness and diseases associated with aging. Kindly note that the results of this test panel may not imply a causative effect due to hormonal changes. It is highly suggest that you discuss with your physician the result so that an accurate diagnosis and treatment may be given to you.
Saliva measures the 'bioavailable' fraction of steroid hormones that have migrated out of the bloodstream and into the tissue. Blood and urine tests measure the 'total' levels. A saliva test is one of the reliable methods of measurement of tissue uptake with topical hormone supplementation. The saliva samples require no special handling when being transported to laboratory.
Common Signs & Symptoms of Female Hormone Imbalance
Acne or oily skin
Excess facial and body hair
Heavy or painful periods
Loss of muscle mass
Loss of scalp hair
Tender or fibrocystic breasts
Common Signs & Symptoms of Male Hormone Imbalance
Decreased mental clarity
Decreased muscle strength
Decreased urine flow
Increased abdominal fat
Increased urge to urinate
Low sex drive
If you need the CPT codes for billing purposes they are: 82670, 84144, 84402, 82627, 82530
*Most of these signs and symptoms are multigenic as well as multifactorial and may be associated with genetic, epigenetic, dietary and environmental factors and mediated by variation in certain hormones. A careful interpretation of results by your physician is suggested. Any form of self-therapy without consulting a licensed physician is highly discouraged. Each service includes:
- Symptom Checklist on Test Requisition Form
- Requisition Form to complete including your personal and medical history
- Pre-paid, Pre-addressed Return Packaging
- Vial(s) for collecting saliva
- Instructions for How to Use Saliva Collection Kit
Kindly note that the results of this hormone saliva test may not imply a causative effect due to hormonal changes.
Most of the hormones show a daily endogenous rhythmic variation in their levels and the results of a hormonal test would depend significantly on the time at which the test was taken. So, sampling just once would be inadequate to make any suggestive analysis! Ideally, it is suggested that such profiling should be done periodically at different times in a day for multiple days for obtaining suggestive data that is biologically meaningful.
Saliva based hormone level testing is a convenient way of testing steroid hormones. Since mid 1980s thousands of scientific studies have shown a strong correlation between steroid hormone levels in saliva and the amount of hormone in the blood that is active or "bioavailable."
Saliva testing can be done anywhere anytime. Blood based hormone testing that relies on blood drawn in the doctor's office makes it harder to obtain samples at specific times (such as in the early morning) or multiple times during the day. In addition, hormones in saliva are exceptionally stable and can be stored at room temperature for up to a week without affecting the accuracy of the result. This offers maximum flexibility in sample collection and shipment.
- Saliva measures the free, "bioavailable" fraction of steroid hormones that have moved out of the bloodstream and into the tissue -- NOTE: Blood and urine measure "total" levels
- Saliva as a collection tool is a painless, noninvasive and needle-free (stress caused by a conventional blood draw can alter test results)
- Hormones are stable in saliva at room temperature up to three weeks allowing for worldwide shipment
- Transport of saliva samples to laboratory requires no special handling
- Less expensive than conventional hormone blood testing
- Ease of collection allows for routine monitoring of hormone levels and adjustment of hormone supplementation as needed.
Saliva testing can help providers:
- Identify hidden hormonal imbalances (deficiency or excess) associated with patient symptoms of menopause and andropause as well as reproductive disorders, chronic illness and diseases of aging
- Link clinical symptoms to specific hormone imbalance(s)
- Maintain health and prevent disease through early detection of any hormonal imbalance(s)
- Establish treatment to restore hormonal balance and patient quality of life
- Monitor patient hormone levels for "individualized" hormone replacement therapy
- Track patient progress with comparative history reports provided with follow-up testing
California State residents:
California State health law requires that the testing of any specimen collected or mailed from California be sent with a written order from a health care professional licensed in California to order laboratory tests. This includes the following disciplines: M.D.; D.C.; LAc; R.D.; D.O.; N.P.; and Pharmacists (R.PH). As of September 2002 (Senate Bill 577), such lab tests may be ordered by complementary or alternative health care practitioners "not providing services that require medical training."
New York State Residents
New York State health law prohibits the testing of specimens collected in or mailed from New York, and prohibits the transmission of data from ZRT Laboratory to NY physicians or residents. Therefore, direct receipt of lab results for NY residents is not possible.
No other states are affected.
Hormone Testing - Collection Instructions
If you do not have a PDF reader installed on your computer, please download one
of the PDF readers below, and follow the on-screen instructions:
Please note that we strongly suggest that you visit your personal doctor with your results. The report is a complimentary service and not intended to provide health advice.
International buyers are responsible for shipping the specimens back to the lab in the United States. TestCountry is not responsible for failed tests due to delays and/or miscollection of specimens.
The Chain of Custody Form is valid for one year after the date of purchase.