In a recent study done about vitamin D deficiency among healthy infants and toddlers, over 50% of participants had vitamin D levels below an accepted optimal threshold (
12.1% (44 of 365 participants) was (< or = 20 ng/mL)
40.0% (146 of 365 participants) was (< or = 30 ng/mL)
Some of the signs and symptoms of vitamin deficiency include
- Anxiety & restlessness
- Carbohydrate cravings
- Physical weakness
- Connective tissue swelling
- Chronic Back Pain
- 'Inflammatory' Pain such as Irritable Bowel Disease and Crohn's Disease
The Vitamin D Deficiency (VDD) Test Service includes:
- 1 collection kit
- Return postage to the lab
- Test analysis by a certified laboratory
Because vitamin D helps metabolizes calcium which is essential for generating the voltage of potentials in neurons, the lack thereof can trigger depression, anxiety, restlessness, and insomnia. Additionally, vitamin D deficiency is a causal factor in heart disease, stroke, hypertension, and muscle weakness.
Price of the Vitamin D deficiency test includes; Laboratory report by mail, blood collection card; test requisition form, blood sample return bag; easy to understand instructions; alcohol prep; gauze pad; 2 lancets; adhesive bandage, shipping, and postage paid return mail envelope.
Vitamin D Deficiency Related Diseases & Conditions
- Osteoporosis is commonly caused by a lack of vitamin D, which greatly impairs calcium absorption.
- "Rickets" is the name of a bone-wasting disease caused by vitamin D deficiency.
- Vitamin D deficiency may exacerbate type 2 diabetes and impair insulin production in the pancreas.
- Vitamin D deficiency causes schizophrenia.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a melatonin imbalance initiated by lack of exposure to sunlight.
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia because its symptoms are so similar: muscle weakness, aches and pains.
What can Vitamin D Deficiency cause in young children (infants, toddlers)?
- Infants that are vitamin D deficient at birth can remain vitamin D deficient for the first several months after birth
- Infants that are vitamin D deficient are more at risk of developing many chronic diseases later in life, including type 1 Diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, as well as many of the common cancers of the breast, colon and prostate.
- Children who have vitamin D deficiency are more likely to develop rickets---a disease in which a person's bones do not properly develop and harden.
The specimen collection process is quick, easy and virtually painless. Using the special finger lancet, which is included in the Vitamin D Test Blood Collection Kit, a couple of drops of blood are taken from a nick of a finger and deposited into a special collection card. The card is then sent to a Certified Laboratory for analysis. The kit tests your blood sample for vitamin d levels and send back to you in an easy-to-read, understandable report.
Since the Vitamin D Deficiency test produces a numerical result rather than a simple "yes" or "no" answer, both testing approval and professional review of test results is required by a licensed health care professional.
Please note that we strongly suggest that you visit your personal doctor with your vitamin d deficiency test results. This report is a complimentary service to your overall health care and not intended to provide health advice.
Note to NY Residents: due to NY State restrictions, this kit may not be sold to NY State Residents.
The Chain of Custody Form is valid for one year after the date of purchase.